Guest Designer Bev's Tutorial - Attaching Charms

Morning All!

Today we have a special treat for you. Our Special Guest Designer Bev, of All the Things I Love, is sharing a tutorial with us today for attaching charms to our projects. I don't know about you, but I love charms and I never know exactly what to do with them or the best way to attach them to my cards. So Bev is going to share her idea, which is not only easy to do, but creates a perfectly dangling charm detail!

I’ve had lots of requests on how I attach my charms with chain and jump rings so I have quickly done a simple step-by-step for those that wanted to know.

I use forceps (medical ones that I picked up from a medical suppliers here in Newcastle) but any pointed nose pliers will do the trick, tweezers won’t work as they are not strong enough. I use cheap silver plated jump rings and chain which I get from the jewelery section in Hobbycraft but I would think you could pick these supplies up at any bead/craft store.

Hold the jump ring with both sets of forceps/pliers with the join uppermost.
Twist the right hand forceps/pliers towards you – DO NOT PULL IT OUTWARDS, all this does is misshape the jump ring, By twisting it forwards to open and backwards to close the ring remains a perfect circle and does not distort.
Repeat with the other end of the chain and feed this jump ring on to the brad to secure to your flower.
 I hope this helps a little, looking forward to seeing all the dangling charms. lol
 
 
Thanks for looking,

6 comments

  1. Deadly have always wondered, was using pliers but they were chewing up the jump ring and the end result always made me want to not use it. Shall look out for them.

    Jenny T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial!! I have lots of charms but really didn't know a nice way of attaching them! Now I need to go get some chain!
    Thanks!
    -Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic tutorial, thanks so much Bev, I am off to find me some tools and chains! hugs debx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i always wanted to know how to do that! thank you!

    and gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial and adorable detailing for a card or scrapbook page!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining us here today at the Whimsy Stamps Blog. We hope you become inspired to visit with us again and again. Thanks for leaving your comment.

Have a great day,
Your Whimsy Creative Team