Tuesday Tutorial with Lauren

Hello! It’s Lauren from the Whimsy Stamps Video Team and I’m excited to change up my tutorials from video to blog post. Today I have for you a slimline card mixing in an older stamp set with some new dies.

I wanted to create a card that used the new Slimline Cloud Die that was just released with the Slimline Meadow Die that was released last month and partner those with the adorable Camping Dragons stamp set.


I die cut the Slimline Cloud Die twice - once with kraft paper where I cut out all of the clouds so I just had the border and second with some grey paper to make dark clouds. I used some Distress Oxide in Mustard Seed on the top of the clouds to give the effect they are glowing from the moon and the bottoms of the clouds with Blueprint Sketch to blend in with my night sky. It doesn’t matter if the ink got on the boarder of the die cut as this will be covered. I cut out any clouds that would be covered by my second slimline die cut.

For my ground, I die cut the Slimline Meadow Die out of some green cardstock, trimmed it down so that I only had bushes and used Rustic Wilderness to create shadows. I left the area where I was going to place my campfire alone with the Rustic Wilderness because I brought back in Mustard Seed to create a glow where my campfire was going to go.


For the night sky, I cut a piece of dark blue cardstock to 3.25 x 8.25 inches and distressed the area that will show behind the clouds with Blueprint Sketch and splattered some white paint and shimmer sprays to create a night sky look.

Once all of my dressing was done, I layered everything onto a card base of kraft paper that was cut to 7 x 8.5 inches and scored to create a card base of 3.5 x 8.5 inches. I glued the blue cardstock to the card base in the center, then layered on the grey cloud die cut, followed by the green ground die cut and finally the kraft border die cut.

I stamped my images from the Camping Dragons stamp set in an alcohol marker friendly black ink and used my Spectrum Noir Illustrator markers to color in the images; I will list out all of the colors at the end of this post. I made sure to use a yellow along the edges of my images where they would be facing the fire to create a look of light glowing onto the critters. Once colored, I cut along the black edge of my dragon and frog sitting, the campfire and the opossums in the tree branch. I used some thin foam squares to adhere them to the card. 


After everything was placed, I stamped “Enjoy the adventure” using a pigmented black ink (to make sure I get a good stamp coverage without having to re-stamp) and glued on some clear stars from my Sparkletz embellishments.

I hope you like this slimline card and try mixing and matching old with new Whimsy Stamps Products!

Spectrum Noir Illustrator Colors:
CR7, BO4, GY1, GY3, GY4, DH1, DG2, DG3, AG3, GT2, GT3, BT3, BT6, TB1, IG2, IG6, BGR1, BGR3, GB2, EB2, EB3, EB6, FS8, TN3

1 comment

Thanks for joining us here today at the Whimsy Stamps Blog. We hope you become inspired to visit with us again and again. Thanks for leaving your comment.

Have a great day,
Your Whimsy Creative Team