12 Days of Christmas Day 6 - special guest - Heidi Jakobs - Penguin Christmas Tree


Hi everyone, Heidi here, today is Day 6 of the Whimsy Stamps 12 Days of Christmas Blog Celebration and I’m very excited to be back on the Whimsy blog and bring you today’s project as guest designer!

For both of today’s cards I used the same stamps but by changing up the colors and design these cards look totally different! I love to use my craft supplies in different ways to make them as versatile as possible! For today’s project I used the fabulous Whimsy Stamps “Penguin Christmas Tree” stamp,  the Whimsy Stamps “Snow FlurryBackground“ stamp (which is gorgeous and super detailed) and Whimsy Stamps digital stamp “Christmas Long and Lean Sentiments“.

I’ll describe step by step for you how I created these fun cards:

For my first card I stamped the “Penguin Christmas Tree“ stamp onto some Strathmore “Toned Tan“ paper using Versafine “Onyx Black“ ink and my MISTI. Then I colored this cutie with my Faber Castell Polychromos colored pencils and my “White” Caran d‘Ache Luminance pencil. From my Polychromos I used the following colors: 199, 115, 271, 272, 138, 155, 250 and 119. I used the white pencil to ad highlights to the image or burnish to create a smooth finish, I like my Caran d ‘Ache white pencil better for this then the one from the Polychromos line.



I love my traditional green, red and gold Christmas colors (as you’ll see on my next card) but this year I have also created several teal and purple Christmas cards to change it up!

When the coloring was finished I die cut around the penguin using a square die. I also die cut a slightly larger stitched squire panel from some matching dusty pink colored card stock. I adhered both squares together using liquid glue.

Then I started working on my background. I knew what size my (crème colored and linen textured) card base would be and for this I created two mats: the brown one is the same Strathmore paper that I colored the image on and the smaller one is die cut from matching teal colored linen textured card stock. On this teal panel I stamped the beautiful “Snow Flurry Background“ stamp using VersaMark ink and I heat embossed with Wow “Opaque Bright White“ embossing powder. Super easy to do and the result is gorgeous! For some additional interesting element in the background I splattered on this teal Snow Flurry panel with Coliro Pearl Colors by Finetec GmbH in the colour “Deep Purple “ and set the panel aside to dry. When the pearl color had dried I adhered those combined mats together using liquid glue.


Now it’s time for the sentiment: I printed the “Christmas Long and Lean Sentiments“ on a crème colored sheet of A4 sized paper and then first die cut the sentiment for my second card and then this one (because they are right above each other and I didn’t wanted the other sentiment to miss a piece of the banner shape) using the Clearly Besotted “Long Flag Die”.

Then it’s already time to put this card together: I adhered the smaller set of mats, with the colored image, on the larger set of mats using one millimetre thick foam tape and then I adhered the sentiment banner using some see through tape runner and a small piece of one millimetre thick foam tape, folding the top half around the back and adhering it there with regular tape. And to finish this first card I adhered this combination to my card base also using one millimetre thick foam tape.
I love the pink, purple and teal combination on this card, how about you?

For my second card I stamped the same penguin, but now only the top part, onto some Strathmore  “Toned Gray“ paper and I colored the image with the “white“ Caran d ‘Ache Luminance pencil and the following Faber Castell Polychromos colors: 199, 217, 126, 111, 185, 232, 165, 276 and 251.
As you can see for this card I choose a more traditional color theme!
To create a different look and feel for this card I this time used a circle shaped die to cut the image and I also die cut a slightly larger stitched circle mat from some slightly shimmery matching red linen textured card stock. These mats I adhered together using liquid glue.


 Now it‘s time to have some fun with creating another background panel: I first die cut my largest square mat from some slightly shimmery matching green linen textured card stock and then I die cut a slightly smaller square panel from the same crème colored linen textured card stock that I also used for my card base. On this panel I again stamped the Snow Flurry Backgroundstamp using VersaMark ink and this time I used Ranger Super Fine Detail “Gold“ embossing powder to heat emboss with. This background stamp is so elegant and yet it has this movement in it that I love and the combination with the gold embossing powder worked out wonderfully even when the card stock has this linen texture! I also created some splatters on this panel and for this card I used the Coliro Pearl Colors by Finetec GmbH in the color “Moss Green“ and then set this panel aside to dry.


As I mentioned before I already die cut the banner with my sentiment on it and now I created the mat for this sentiment by tracing the outline of the banner die (that I used for die cutting the banner) on the same gray Strathmore paper that I used to color the image on and cutting the shape out with scissors. I adhered the two banner shapes together using see through tape runner.

When the background panel was dry I adhered the largest squares together using liquid glue, I put some matching yellow ribbon from my stash across the front of the card and adhering on the back with regular tape and then I adhered the mats with the colored image and the banner to the project using one millimetre thick foam tape, folding the banner around the back and adhering there with regular tape. Now I only had to adhere these combined panels to the card base using one millimetre thick foam tape!

And that finishes today’s project! I had so much fun creating these cards, I think this must be the  most adorable penguin stamp ever! 

 Thank you Whimsy Stamps for having me as a guest designer again!

If you would like to see more of my creations that feel free to visit my blog:


I wish you’ll Happy Holidays and lots of crafty fun in the New Year!

Christmas Long and Lean Sentiments - Digital SentimentsPenguin Christmas Tree Snow Flurry Background

12 comments

  1. oh how cute!
    love it!
    happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your pencil coloring looks amazing! Gorgeous cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh these are both stunning, Love the colours you have gone for, Thanks for the inspiration, Hazelxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always amazed that colored pencils can look so great. These are both very nice. The penguin is so cute. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  5. love both these cards - this image is so adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE your cards Heidi!
    WOW - your penguins are SUPER CUTE and your colouring SERIOUSLY AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love,love,love that penguin stamp. You colored it so gorgeously with pencils and i love the colors of blue and purple together. Great Work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling cards! Love that sweet penguin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb kind of work by the author as on this particular topic people needs more precise information and special attention to it. Thanks a lot.
    ambala postal code

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both cards are wonderfully done! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW... Fantastic designs and images.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining us here today at the Whimsy Stamps Blog. We hope you become inspired to visit with us again and again. Thanks for leaving your comment.

Have a great day,
Your Whimsy Creative Team