12 Days of Christmas Day 4 - special guest Dina Kowal - Penguin Gift


I'm so grateful to Whimsy Stamps for having me as a guest designer this month - it's been a lot of fun! And now for my first 12 Days of Christmas post...


I used a couple of Whimsy's adorable penguin stamps for the challenges over at Splitcoast - the first was for a color challenge (black, grey and peachy pink). I watercolored this little scene (Penguin Gift) using QoR watercolors (my favorite tube paints) and added in a few details with colored pencil.


I did some negative coloring, which is always fun - coloring "outside the lines" to create the snowy ground and the glow around the lamp.


My second card was done with similar techniques, but I used a Sakura Clear Glaze Pen to mask off the snowflake first - did you know the Glaze inks dry a little raised, and they're waterproof? They're perfect for masking off fine lines like these. I watercolored with the QoR paints again, creating a blocked background for this adorable little guy (Snowflake Penguin), then I added some falling snow using acrylic paint, dotted with a small stylus.



There are a couple of other Whimsy products on my card - the sentiment is from this great set, which is full of tiny and practical sayings:

Everyday Mini Sentiments

And the paper on my card base, which you can barely see except for a few snowflakes peeking out... is from this paper collection:

Winter Wishes 6x6 Designer Paper
If you like the color scheme there, you'll love the sparkly enamel dots that match - eep! 

That's all I know today - thanks again to Whimsy Stamps for having me, and thanks to you for visiting me today! Be sure to check back tomorrow for another 12 Days of Christmas special guest post!
Thanks for stopping by!

Penguin Gift Snowflake Penguin

11 comments

  1. CUTENESS GALORE!
    LOVE your penguins and colouring, your first card is PURE MAGIC - WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness, these penguins are sooooo cute! I LOVE penguins! Beautifully coloured! Loving that paper too! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such sweet cards! The penguins are just adorable! Love your pretty coloring too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are super cute. Lovely colors. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cards are wonderful! Thank you for sharing your tips and materials used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these are beautiful, I love the black, white and peach one, the tones are so soft. Lovely, Hazelxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love those penguin stamps and you colored them so beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful coloring
    on both cards.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!
    gorgeous!
    Happy Holidays! 🎄🎅⛄
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cards are creative and simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are wonderful! Love the cute images!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining us here today at the Whimsy Stamps Blog. We hope you become inspired to visit with us again and again. Thanks for leaving your comment.

Have a great day,
Your Whimsy Creative Team